James Bond and Rocky Balboa. It’s a weird combination, I know. But, here’s the thing… I won’t bore you with the details, but various factors caused me to run out of time to produce anything of substance this week. I was scrambling about for something that was at least partially done, and I remembered I still had brief notes from when I watched these two movies several years ago. Each list by itself seemed rather lacking and hardly worth posting, so I (obviously) decided to throw them together. I hope you don’t find them a total waste of time. But, if you do, well… there’s always next week!
Remember, this was the first of the latest Bond “reboot” with Daniel Craig in the title role, so (as usual) there were some concerns about the “new guy”….
“Brief Notes on Casino Royale (2006)”
2) Nice scenes with M.
3) OK gadgets (car & stuff in car), but where was Q?
4) Great chase & fight scenes!
5) Didn’t even care that Bond was blonde!
6) His accent was almost non-existent!
7) Cool movie-theme by Chris Cornell. Could have used more of the Bond theme within the movie. (Or did I miss it?)
8) While a good action flick, it only felt like a Bond film about half the time. Maybe partly because of Craig’s un-Bondlike looks?
9) Glad they showed how physically fit Bond was, else we’d be wondering how he could do/survive all that stuff.
10) Overall, very good. Now that they’ve started from “the beginning”, as it were, it should be interesting to see how they develop the character further….
11) Possible replacements: Gerard Butler, Jeremy Northam, Jason Isaacs, Sean Bean (too old?).
[Regarding #10, I haven’t seen the latest one with Craig (Spectre), yet, but as of Skyfall, I’m not sure I like the dark turns they’ve taken with his story. Otoh, if I remember right, it is somewhat in line with Fleming’s original concept for the character. (Bond/Fleming aficionados, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.) I guess I’ll reserve further judgment until after I’ve seen Spectre and whatever Craig’s last one will be.]
[Regarding #11, I would like to see them cast a 30-something Bond again. (Craig was 38 when he started.) This rules out Butler (46), Northam (54), Isaacs (53), and Bean (57). I’ll probably do a Fan-Cast post in the coming months.]
“Brief Notes on Rocky VI, aka Rocky Balboa, (2006)”
2) If part of the plot was for Dixon to learn a little humility and/or what “heart” was and/or the “eye of the tiger”, then they could have done it much better. The little exchange between Dixon & Rocky after the fight fell flat.
3) I would have liked to see at least two small, additional scenes:
a) Rocky recruiting Duke,
b) Dixon training with Martin.
4) It was good to see/hear Rocky give a tough-love/pep-talk speech to his son, and I’m glad they drew closer.
5) While I would have preferred Adrian to be in it, I really appreciated the tributes to her (e.g., restaurant name, graveside visits, yearly “tour”, overall sorrow-yet-good-memories).
6) I would have liked to see a little more interaction and character development between Rocky and Steps.
7) Some of the fight sequences just weren’t up-to-par, looking kind of sloppy.
8) I liked Punchy, but would have liked to see a little more life/spirit. (Bark, for Pete’s sake!)
[As you can probably gather from these comments, I liked some stuff in the film but was overall a bit disappointed. I haven’t seen Creed, yet. But, I hear that it was pretty good and an improvement over the last two Rocky films. Here’s hopin’!]
That wasn’t too bad, was it? 😉